Video marketing is a great way to get yourself out there. You can talk about business or non-business related stuff. It’s a great for for people to get to know and hopefully like you. Here’s what I’ve learned about how to get good in front of the Camera.
1) Make lot’s of videos. Just turn on the camera and talk into it, even if you don’t have anything particularly meaningful to say. Making friends with the camera is the first step.
2) Notice how many times you say things like “um,” “awww,” “you know,” “like,” and work on reducing these down to a minimum. These filler sounds detract from the impact of your message. At first you might be surprised by how often this blather comes out of your mouth, but you’ll notice a major improvement in how you come across when you start to get a handle on it.
3) Don’t belabour the point. Less is usually more. I’ve noticed that a lot of video marketers tend to ramble on with endless examples and analogies as though using more words will somehow make them sound more intelligent. Learn to be concise and your message will ring clearer.
4) Develop your own style. Don’t try to be a ventriloquist for captain uber-marketer down the street. If you tend to be more intellectual, don’t try to play the funny man. People can see through anything contrived. Identify your strengths and play to them.
5) Try to talk about things that you have experienced yourself. Your conviction will be stronger. If you lack experience, think of other experiences you have had that could be proxies for the one your trying to convey. Try to communicate the emotions evoked by those experiences.
If you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions on how to make good videos, please post them in the thread below.